1. When I went to the conference in Philadelphia with Paul, he had a very nice reception at The Franklin Institute. I had a blast in the brain section. On the upper level, there is a skybike that looks really fun. Sadly, the line was too long. But we enjoyed watching.
3. I have been enjoying the garden this year. I have spent a lot of time picking off squash bug eggs. For some reason the companion planting of radishes and marigolds was not effective this year. I don't like to use any chemicals, so I just inspect every single leaf by hand, day by day.
4. Speaking of gardening, I had not planted turnips in 3 years because I was the only one who liked them. But this year I decided I could just eat them all myself. So I planted a few. And guess what? Cort and Reid LOVE roasted turnips. We're talking three helpings at dinner love! So next year I'll be planting more.
5. After listening to a podcast on Appalachian gardening, I special ordered some heirloom seeds for the cushaw squash. I had never heard of it. Supposedly it makes a lovely pumpkin pie. But even more important? It is squash bug resistant. Hoping I will have some luck with these.
What have you got growing, readers? And if you don't have anything growing, do you have any advice for the 40th decade?
Linked today with Willy Nilly Friday.
I can't remember when I was forty. That was 23 years ago.
I love turnips. I buy them at the farmers market when I can, and I boil them, then I cut them in slices and eat them with garlic salt. Yum.
No over-the-hill jokes.....My son and I planted a blueberry bush and as soon as I have this 4000 year old redwood removed from my back yard I'll have room for a cherry tree! Of course I may not be able to afford a cherry tree at that point....Oh, and happy birthday!
1. we have a stray pumpkin plant growing from seeds scattered by the kids last October. and various herbs.
2. Here's my advice on turning 40 (which I did over a decade ago....). If you're only planning on living to 80, then your life is half over. However, if you're planning on at least 100, then you've still got at least 60 years to go! And, remember, it's not the age, it's the mileage!
Love turnips! Glad it rubbed off on the kids. To address forty..........Happy Birthday!!!!! I remember my parents approaching it and thought about life and death. When I turned 40 I had to laugh at my thoughts. I was still real young I felt. Today is my oldest 27th and she is very pregnant with her 4th child.
Happiest of birthdays to you!! I hope you celebrate with all your favorite people. My 40th decade has been my favorite so far.
Best of luck on the new squash....those darn pests make life a challenge don't they???
I've never grown or eaten a turnip!!!
enjoy the 40s with all you've got. i'm going to be 52 next week. :)
I'd say, enjoy every single second, even rainy days have their purpose! Happy Birthday!
I'll have to try those squash seeds. We eat mostly spaghetti squash and zucchini in spaghetti squash pie.
I turn 40 June 21, 2016.
Happy Birthday! Life is just beginning ( according to someone who wrote that years ago!). It is hard for me to even remember 40! Hugs, Linda@Wetcreek Blog
Happy Birthday, Lisa!! I hope you have a wonderful one. Turning 40? That happened for me 12 years ago. Your 40s can be awesome. I got married when I was 40. "Found" myself in my 40s. Enjoy!
I don't usually plant turnips until early August so you can get a fall crop planted and they seem to do better then.
Compared to me, at 73, you are a youngster still! Happy Birthday...dont blink. I am not a gardner, but my son who lives next door, has one of everything you can think of, planted in his garden.
Happy birthday and may you have many, many more!
Happy Birthday Lisa!
I've a few years to go til I turn 40 and can say that I'm not dreading it as much as turning 30 which I felt was quite the milestone. Silly really!
#1 You would really ride that bike?
#2 Lordy, Lordy look who's Forty! Happy B Day.
#3 Must be keeping you busy!
#4 That a boys!
#5 And neither have I.
Lisa 40 was so long ago that I can't remember it. Just live each day as though it may be your last. Tom The Backroads Traveller
I didn't find turning forty very exciting either, but Happy Birthday! I read that planting squash a bit later in the season helps with squash bug problems. This came from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds FB page. I didn't read that soon enough myself!
Happy birthday Lisa! Wish you all the best!
I'm glad you enjoy your garden this year. Happy gardening too.
Glad your family has decided they love turnips too! I like them in a medley boiled with squash and carrots, and with some butter. And I love turnip greens! Glad you are organically gardening...hope the new squash from Appalachia works out well for you!
And Happy 40th Birthday!
My advice is to enjoy every day of this year! :) My son will be 19 on Monday! Time flies! Happy Birthday!! You have a wonderful heart!
Awe - I just missed your birthday. I hope it was lovely for you as I find you a wonderful blog friend. I admire so much about you, Lisa. I think you know this. :)
I don't plant veggies, but happy to announce NO MORE GRASSHOPPERS (so far). I had tried different ways because last year they completely took over the flowers that Hunter and I planted. I read somewhere to try 4 pennies in water, in a plastic bag. Who knew, right?
Have a blessed day!
Happy belated birthday, Lisa. No jokes from me as I remember 40 and wish I could go back...
Prachtig om nog zo jong te zijn,vergeet vooral niet om er volop van te genieten,
Well a very Happy Belated Birthday to you.!!! They get even less exciting as you get older...
no turnups here,,, we had some strawberrys!
Congratulations! Now it's time to have loads of fun before 50.
first of all, happy birthday!! we've only planted cucumbers and tomatoes this year...we are getting ready to move in a couple of weeks, same county, just a town over, so we haven't really done any gardening...i did just find some heirloom seeds that i had picked up from mt vernon while going through boxes...i hope i remember to plant them at the new house! thanks for linking lisa!! have a great week!
Happy Birthday! I hope had a wonderful day!
Happy belated 40th birthday. We're the same age! I turn 40 in October. I say 40 is the new 30--we're only as old as we feel. I'm just glad I'm a heck of a lot wiser than in my 20's. I would take wisdom over youth any day. I enjoyed your readers comments--Don't blink, and even rainy days have their purpose. I still think the best days are here to come.
HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LISA WITH YOUR DEAR FAMILY,
CHILDREN, LOVED ONES!
HAVE A BLESSED TIME WITH THOSE YOU LOVE,
and FOR MANY MORE HAPPY, HEALTHY YEARS AHEAD!
I AM SORRY FOR MY LATE POSTING...
I LOVE YOUR NEW GORGEOUS DOG!
THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR WORLD WITH US!
YOU ARE AN AMAZING WRITER, BLOGGER.
I ENJOY READING YOUR WONDERFUL STORIES, LISA.
ALL THE BEST,
Post a Comment