A few weeks ago, Cort had a crazy allergic reaction, after spending the morning outside. He got hives all over his face - mounds of hives. And he was itching and crying and Benadryl wasn't working. Then I noticed the whites of his eyes were swelling. Like all bubbled out swelling. So I called the pediatrician and they advised me to bring him straight in. Because his eyes were so severe (they said it was schleral edema) and his face was so swollen, we were advised not to take Cort outside unless we pretreated him with Benadryl, at least until after we'd had a chance to have an assessment with a pediatric allergy specialist. This appointment isn't until mid-June, so in the meantime we need more indoor activities.
I happened to tweet about this, and JDaniel4sMom (whose son has tremendous allergies as well) suggested we do a fun swap for the boys. Each boy would get a box in the mail of special indoor activities.
We had a splendid time planning out activities for JDaniel4. Here's what we sent him:
1. Activity kit: Which Came First - the Chicken or the Egg? This kit includes wide, colorful straws and a bunch of various feathers gathered from our chickens. In addition, we sent some chocolate Easter eggs and a plastic Easter egg full of candy. JDaniel4s task is to try blowing feathers or eggs with the straws to see which is faster. He might also like to race his mom. Hopefully I didn't seriously gross out JDaniel4smom by sending them chicken feathers!
2. Activity Kit: Bring the Birds to You. This is a recycling craft to make a birdfeeder using a paper towel roll, tongue depressors, bird seed and peanut butter. Then JDaniel4 can hang it outside his bedroom window and enjoy watching the birds.
3. Activity Kit: Pig in Mud. We snagged this activity kit idea from our library story hour. Make a box of chocolate pudding, and you can finger paint "mud" on your piggie. Then just wipe off when done.
Online Printables - JDaniel4 likes construction so we looked for some printables in that area.
4. Handy Manny make your own puppet show kit
5. Bob the Builder Draw a House Plan kit
6. Groom N' Grow Fun Dough Pet Salon.
We knew JDaniel4 loves the idea of a dog, and we figured a Playdoh version wouldn't be so hard to care for!
7. A glowstick. For campouts in his room.
8. A sticker book and various transportation stickers.
9. A funny face set. These are designed for use with pumpkins, but we've found that you can use them with apples, squash, and eggplant too!
8. And finally, bringing the sandbox indoors for JDaniel4 with a mini Zen garden.
We sure hope that JDaniel4 enjoys his activities. Please go check out what they sent to Cort: