So one of the writing topics is the following: When you visit a blog, what areas (besides the main post) do you check out? I do think this is one of those areas of personal preference - what I like doesn't necessarily appeal to someone else. I thought I'd keep it simple by having a list of likes and adding a few bloggy turn offs as well.
- Twitter and Facebook social media buttons - yes, I do use them when I have a few extra minutes and have found a blog I really like.
- A header with 3-4 crisp, interesting pictures. One of my favorite blogs as far as headers go is Ordinary Life Magic - she changes her pictures all the time, but they always intrigue me. In addition, she has this really breezy, poetic style of writing that draws me in every time.
- Sidebar on the right. This is just a personal preference type thing. I want to be able to look to the right, and see what you've got going on.
- I look for the Google Friend Connect (GFC) Box - and put it where I can see it! I want to know I can follow a blog if I want (for some reason, the top Follow button stopped working for me months ago - sadly it took me a while to figure this out so I guess I didn't actually follow some blogs I meant to - my apologies!), and I'm also curious to see if we are in a similar blogging circle. A few times, I've asked a blogger to add the box because I liked their blog so much and wanted to follow.
- A button with code I can grab to put on my Blog Roll. I don't add the buttons to my blog roll until I get to know the blog a little better, but I like to know it's there. Plus, the buttons are kinda cute.
- I also like to give the menu bar at the top (if there is one) a glance. I don't always go to visit the pages, but I think it gives a good overview as to what makes up a person's blog.
- Okay, now this is just completely personal, but I always like blogs that have some immediate reference (through pictures or a blurb) to running, fitness, animals, farming, hiking, or twins. That stuff will draw me in instantly. It just fits with who I am!
- Word verification. Just turn it off already! Please?
- When blogs have the followers right underneath the header.
- Magazine style blogs. These are blogs where you get a blurb in a box from the post, but you have to click on the post to read the whole thing. I really dislike this style, no offense. Sometimes my internet is so slow and I just don't want to wait for yet another page to load.
Congratulations to Misty from A Rainy Day in May - she won my 400 Followers Appreciation Giveaway! She's been a long-time follower of Two Bears Farm and a loyal commenter, so I was very excited when Random.org picked her number. Thanks so much to everyone who entered!