A few weeks ago, Reid got stung by a wasp. We didn't think much about it. He's been stung before. The next morning, his finger where he'd been stung was a little swollen. I sent him off to school. When he got home, his hand was extremely swollen and had one blister. We loaded into the car and headed to Urgent Care.
The doctor we saw at the Urgent Care didn't like the look of it, and sent us on to the ER. It was a very busy Monday night in the ER. There was nowhere to sit and they ran out of wheel chairs. We saw a number of people in handcuffs with police escort. Must've been a full moon.
Finally, a week after being stung, all the blisters had popped and the swelling had gone down enough that he could move his fingers into a fist again. One of my nursing students told me that the combination of Zantac and Benadryl was similar to an epipen, because they work on different histamine receptors. So we now have some Zantac in the medicine cabinet, just in case. Reid will go see a pediatric allergist in August to find out if he is truly allergic to bee stings, or if it was just a weird one time reaction.
Readers, do bee stings bother you?